DID YOU KNOW?
- The 500 million automobiles on earth burn an average of 2 gallons of fuel a day.
- Each gallon of fuel releases 20 pounds of carbon dioxide into the air.
- Approximately 5 million tons of oil produced in the world each year ends up in the ocean.
- The energy we save when we recycle one glass bottle is enough to light a traditional light bulb for four hours
- For every 2000 pounds of paper (1 ton) recycled, we save 7,000 gallons of water free from chemicals.
- Recycled paper requires 64% less energy than making paper from virgin wood pulp, and can save many trees
- Every ton of paper that is recycled saves 17 trees
- The amount of wood and paper we throw away is enough to heat 50 million homes for 20 years.
- 14 billion pounds of trash is dumped into the ocean every year
- It takes 90% less energy to recycle aluminum cans than to make new ones
- 5 billion aluminum cans are used each year
SO WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP?
- Participate in Earth Day activities
- Only buy what you need
Here are a few fun activities that you can do on this Earth Day, 2012 to help make your lives greener:
Make a bracelet out of pull-tabs off of soda cans
Or you can even make a jewelry box out of all those small cardboard boxes you have lying around the house
I hope you all have a wonderful Earth Day and do something great for the world